Thursday 31 December 2009

The one where I post for the last time in 2009.

I’m sorry I didn’t get to wish you ALL a Merry Christmas. I had a holiday attack plan in place for a month and some how, things still managed to sneak up on me. I didn’t even get near my computer for at least two days, if not three. I hope you all had a great Christmas(or insert holiday of choice here).
Honestly, 2009 has been a very rough year for my family and for myself. When I have had five minutes the past few weeks, I tried to reflect on the reason for the holiday and get myself in the right place. With all that thinking(seriously, did you smell the smoke?) it was still hard to get myself right this year. It’s been a year of significant loss that started in January and stretched well into November. On Christmas Eve, sitting in my cousins home surrounded by family, the realization that the people that left this year are in deed gone and not coming back, sunk in. At the time, it felt like such a strange time to have that realization, but as life goes, it happened just when it needed to. I just sat in my chair looking around at the faces that filled the room and I caught the eye of my cousins little girl. She smiled at me and came over and sat on my lap(well, what little lap that I have). She just sat with me and chatted and I felt myself anchor to her. She has always been a light for me and that night was no different. She didn’t wander too far from me the rest of the night and I was thankful for that. Holding her, I realized, that she was what was going to make this Christmas doable. It’s something that we’ve practiced saying over and over this year: “Being thankful for what you do have.” That was the place I needed to be. That was the lesson that would put me in the right place. The rest of Christmas Eve, I looked all about me and was thankful for what I do have, for the people that I still have.

When Christmas day arrived, I felt like I was in a much better place. As we went to the home that I’ve had Christmas in for the past 29 years, the people that were in between and under all of that timber and sheetrock, became my greatest joy. I sat in a wooden chair in the dinning room, and I could see into the living room and into the kitchen of this home that was built by my great grandparents, that was passed on to my grandparents and that is now my aunt’s. I sat there and I did take note of the faces that were gone, but I also took note of the faces that were still there, those faces that lined the kitchen counters and filled the chairs. The best part had to be for all these new faces, all these littles that have been added to our family. They spilled and sprawled all over the living room floor the way my cousins and I used to do when we were small. They all sat there, more patient than we ever did, waiting to open their gifts. As a family we are changing, and I think this year our motto has been “we are never promised a tomorrow.“ Really, it’s not an easy lesson to learn, but it’s a little easier to swallow when you remember what you still have.

And yes, this year’s been rough, but I can’t sit here and write this and pretend that 2009 has been a totally horrible year. I am delighted at were Pixel Pixel Photography is as 2009 draws to an end. Holy smokes! What a humbling feeling this is. I am so, so thankful for what I get to do. True, I may be a little bias, but photography is an amazing subject. It’s an amazing art and I still feel like it’s no small thing to get to do what I get to do. Photography has given me this amazing outlet, it has given me some amazing friends, and it has put me in the path of amazing people(you being among them). I think about my clients and I think about the people who always support me and take an interest in what I do all the time. Seriously, I do. I’m thinking of all of you today. Thanks for the opportunities. Thanks for the support. Thanks for the being the bright spot in my year. Thanks for the light. Because of you, I get to do what I was created to do.

There are lot of great changes coming for Pixel Pixie Photography in 2010 and they are being implemented to better serve you. I’m excited about this New Year. So, here’s to you guys and to a great year ahead. I hope you have a safe and wonderful New Year. I took these images with the last available daylight of 2009. It feels weird to write that. Anyway, enjoy. See you next year.

1 comments:

Annie 3 January 2010 at 19:51  

This post had me in tears.

And that photo. Wow.

I hope this is a better year. You're due.

Love you!

Blog Archive

Copyright

All images are copyright protected & all rights reserved by Pixel Pixie Photography.
No stealing please - it's illegal!

Also thanks to Holly @pinkinkstudios.net for the wonderful
background.

  © Blogger template 'The Lake' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP